Forum - Rudder - rudder stock

All Topics

TopicRepliesLatest Post
rudder stock 11Fri 19 Aug 2016 21:05:49
mantaman mantaman Fri 08 Jul 2016 11:18:13 I recently purchased a Manta 19 in need of some TLC and missing the entire rudder. From details elsewhere on this forum I'm having the steel rudder fabricated, but can anyone supply photos and measurements of the rudder stock and tiller, also measurements of the gudgeons. Presumably rudder stock is of marine ply (thickness?). Help very much appreciated. Thanks

Replies

jb jb Mon 18 Jul 2016 01:05:35 Hi, I'm rebuilding mine using 9mm marine ply ('cos I already have some) laminated up with epoxy, about 5 1/2 thicknesses in total, slightly recessed in places to fit within the original pintle and gudgeon. The original is ply but was starting to delaminate in places - I can trace the outline and add some dimensions and post it on here, give me a couple of days.

I still have all the other bits around to so I'll try and get them photo'ed and dimensioned as well - all in all it's quite a chunky lump of wood and metal.
jb jb Mon 18 Jul 2016 01:14:36 Pic:
rudder stock
mantaman mantaman Tue 19 Jul 2016 11:14:06 Thanks. That would be really useful

Paul
jb jb Mon 25 Jul 2016 01:45:42 Hi, Paul - this is the old starboard side rudder stock, with all the metalwork removed. The original is made from ply, both cheeks 18mm thick, sandwiching a centre piece of a thickness slightly greater than the rudder blade, cut away to accommodate swing of the rudder blade - total thickness of my new one is 42mm.

I'll try post some similar pics of the tiller and metalwork, let me know if their are any specific measurements you need.

John
rudder stock
jb jb Mon 25 Jul 2016 01:51:10 Other side (inside) of starboard rudder stock cheek.
rudder stock
mantaman mantaman Mon 01 Aug 2016 17:32:04 Hi John

All this is really useful. I will construct a new stock and let you know how I've got on. Details of metal work will be helpful. Also what make are the gudgeon and pintle. The ones on my Manta have been entirely removed leaving just 4 holes in the transom!!

Thanks

Paul
jb jb Sun 07 Aug 2016 19:43:28 Hi, Paul, some pics of the rudder stock head, gudgeon, pintle and tiller.
rudder stock
jb jb Fri 19 Aug 2016 20:34:31 The metalwork doesn't show any maker's stamp; the gudgeon and pintle appear to made out of 2mm stainless...
rudder stock
jb jb Fri 19 Aug 2016 20:38:19 ...and the rudder stock head out of stainless box-section, 2.6mm wall thickness, with cut-outs to fit over the rudder stock and accommodate the tiller...
rudder stock
jb jb Fri 19 Aug 2016 20:45:09 ... which appears to be a substantial 1m length of ash, shaped to fit into the metalwork, where it's secured by a single through-bolt.
rudder stock
jb jb Fri 19 Aug 2016 21:05:49 The far end hole of the pintle is slightly larger (16mm diameter?), it also supports the rudder blade pivot bolt.

The only similar size metalwork I've seen available off-the-shelf is stuff produced for large dinghies, like the wayfarer -

http://www.tridentuk.com/gb/chandlery/boat-area-fittings/chandlery-rudder-equipment.html?dir=desc&order=price&p=3

http://www.tridentuk.com/gb/boats-and-catalogues/wayfarer-parts-catalogue/wayfarer-rudders.html

- but I don't know whether it's substantial enough, but other stuff may be available if you look around.
Hope this is useful, let me know if you need any more information.

John
close

This Site Uses Cookies

Please read our Privacy Policy for full details.

Accept