Forum - Social and General Chat - New owner

All Topics

TopicRepliesLatest Post
New owner 3Wed 22 Jun 2016 10:47:44
MattLancs MattLancs Sun 19 Jun 2016 00:38:40 Hi, I'm now the proud owner of "tiller girl". Just wondering if you guys and girls had any meet ups around the uk ? It would be good to take a look at modifications and compare. Or just get some advice while out sailing.

Thanks
Matt
New owner

Replies

Crepello Crepello Mon 20 Jun 2016 18:23:49 Hi Matt, and I hope you like the new boat. I'm not sure how many meet ups the owners of the Manta yachts have, but I hope that members will start to post any meetings on here as I too would like to see other boats in action. Also, its good to have help and advise at hand when you need it. I live in North Yorkshire and a lot of meetings for activities such as this are generally on the south coast, which is the best sailing in the country, But, if you hear of anything further north, then I would also be interested in attending.

With regards to launching your Manta, take to the slip with you two bricks as wheel chocks and a length of rope about 20' or 6m long. Back down the slip, chock the wheels and unhitch the trailer from the car. Attach the rope between the trailer and car and drive up the slip to tension the rope. Remove the wheel chocks and back down the slip until you see the boat start to float off. Make sure a painter rope is attached to the bow cleat and then push the boat off the trailer and moor to the pontoon.

Its a good idea to get a reference point between the car and a fixed object, so when you are ready to pull the boat out of the water, you know where you need to be. Also, get yourself a pair of chest waders, they are worth their weight in gold.

I will try to get some photo's of my next launch for you which may be one day this coming week.

Best Regards
Happy Sailing

Glenn.
New owner
MattLancs MattLancs Tue 21 Jun 2016 16:17:56 Hi Glenn

Thanks for the reply. Trident do a pair of launching trousers so i might invest in some of them.
Some photos of your launch or a video would be great. What kind of depth does the Manta start to be clear and floating? I know the waterline mark to the base of the keel is approx 2'but i was wondering if they sit a little higher than the waterline?
I am in Lancashire, so South coast is also quite some distance but I don't really mind travelling. North Yorkshire is closer so maybe we should start the meet when I'm sorted?

Thanks
Matt
Crepello Crepello Wed 22 Jun 2016 10:47:44 Hi Matt,
If you measure the boat on the trailer from the waterline to ground and then add a couple of inches for the suspension and tyre pressure to be released, that will give you your floating depth.
I am currently fabricating some guide bars to fit to the trailer axle to help guide the boat onto the trailer so I know where the centre is. When complete, I will send you some photos and measurements. I'm just waiting for the old man to get back from holiday to give me a hand.
I go back to work mid July till the end of August, so we will have to sort something out around these times.
I bought the boat in Barrow-in-Furness and it took me two and a half hours to tow it back to Middlesbrough. so the lakes is not too far away.

If you need any further help with anything, just ask.

Regards
Glenn.
close

This Site Uses Cookies

Please read our Privacy Policy for full details.

Accept