Forum - Social and General Chat - Sheet to Tiller steering

All Topics

TopicRepliesLatest Post
Sheet to Tiller steering 1Mon 25 May 2015 18:43:19
hcasares hcasares Wed 13 May 2015 14:50:43 Hello Manta owners!

I usually sail alone in my Manta and do trolling fishing. If you add to this that sometimes you have to go to the bow or just have something to eat or drink, some kind of self steering system would be very useful. I use shock cord tiller method, but you know is very imprecise. I don't like electronic autopilot systems. I have seen wind vanes installed in small boats, but I would like to know is somebody has ever seen this on a Manta or if someone has thought of this before or, in your opinion, what system would be suitable for a project like this. I would also like to know if somebody uses a Sheet-to-Tiller system as alternative.

Hope everybody is enjoying this spring season!

Replies

Mekicevica Mekicevica Mon 25 May 2015 18:43:19 I don't know of any Manta with a self-steering system, but somebody I know here in the Netherlands has a wind vane on a boat of similar size. He has done several solo Channel crossings with it.
The only thing I have is a very simple way of locking the tiller. By balancing the sails carefully and in light winds this allows me to leave the boat briefly sailing on her own. Just enough to grab something from below or go to the foredeck to adjust something.
close

This Site Uses Cookies

Please read our Privacy Policy for full details.

Accept