Forum - Mast and Rigging - Replacement spreaders and bracket

All Topics

TopicRepliesLatest Post
Replacement spreaders and bracket 4Wed 23 Apr 2014 19:55:15
Geomellish Geomellish Thu 13 Mar 2014 19:10:40 Has anyone replaced the spreaders and spreader mast bracket on their Manta? I am trying to discover where I might find something suitable.

Replies

jb jb Mon 17 Mar 2014 03:14:52 Thinking that the Manta rig could be likened to that of a large dinghy as much as a small yacht, Pinnell and Bax sell a selection of fittings, including Selden (quite pricey??):

http://www.pinbax.com/index.asp?selection=category&cg=13&mc=225&cct=7&TypeSearch=

And Allan, and Superspar (less pricey??):

http://www.pinbax.com/index.asp?selection=category&cg=13&mc=77&cct=7&sc=&pg=4

Of course, you'll need to check the sizes. I would imagine there are a few other dinghy shops that can supply this stuff, or if it's too small, you might have to look at bigger boat hardwear (££££....!!!).

Selden have alot of info on their website, including digital catalogues and instalation advice:

http://www.seldenmast.com/footerlinks/online_catalogues.html

Other manufacturers may do so too, but I've not looked into it.

If you don't know how long your spreaders are, let me know and I can measure mine sometime this week and pass on the details.

John

(PS, what happened to your spreaders?)
Mekicevica Mekicevica Mon 17 Mar 2014 18:48:03 Ahoy!
Last year, Mark kindly provided me this scheme of his spreaders, which I used on my new rigging.
Luis
Replacement spreaders and bracket
Geomellish Geomellish Tue 18 Mar 2014 13:45:05 Thanks for the replies. I have been in contact with Allspars of PLymouth who tell me that the (expensive) Selden spreader parts will not fit Grizabella's original (Proctor ?) C section mast profile However I have now found a promising US supplier (www.dwyermast.com) with mast parts similar to the original and, subject to the shipping costs, much cheaper. I will report further.

The old spreaders were broken and one lost to the Fowey estuary when the mast head fitting failed due to corrosion. The mast fell over the side during a storm last October when Grizabella was on her mooring. See my post of 7.1.14 under Maintenance.

Whilst on the subject, I received exorbitant quotes to reproduce the mast head fitting and have been unable to find a replacement. So my current plan is to effect a repair to the original by hacksawing the remaining top bits off and bolting onto the plug two lengths of right angle aluminium extrusion...
Ronella Ronella Wed 23 Apr 2014 19:55:15 Hi Geomellish, if it's not too late now, I have a pair of Manta 19 spreaders I kept when I had to replace the original mast, which was crushed by Ronella when she was blown off her yard props in a howling gale. Unfortunately, I didn't keep the brackets. If you've already replaced yours, they're available to anyone else who needs them.
close

This Site Uses Cookies

Please read our Privacy Policy for full details.

Accept