Forum - Maintenance - Hull query, and some strange wires

All Topics

TopicRepliesLatest Post
Hull query, and some strange wires 7Mon 11 Nov 2013 18:21:31
scroggins scroggins Fri 08 Nov 2013 17:53:15 Hello all,

First, thanks to those who helped with my previous post regarding a Manta with a replacement mast. In the end I decided to buy it, so I am now the proud owner of a Manta 19!

Anyway, I am hoping you guys may be able to provide some further assistance, and I apologize in advance for asking questions which undoubtedly have painfully obvious answers. To call myself a novice would be an understatement.

First, the hull is looking rather worn in the area where the keel protrudes, and I'm wondering if it is in urgent need of repair, or if I could safely wait a little longer. Please see the attached photo.

Second, I noticed a few wires sticking out of the roof of the cabin, just beside the mast. Anyone have any idea what these might be for?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!
Hull query, and some strange wires

Replies

scroggins scroggins Fri 08 Nov 2013 17:53:51 And here's a picture of the wires.
Hull query, and some strange wires
Mark Mark Fri 08 Nov 2013 23:05:08 It looks like the keel pivot bolt is missing or corroded. It seems like it is very low at the front.

The wires look like those for the mast head light, if you have one but it looks like the plug is missing of the end.
scroggins scroggins Sat 09 Nov 2013 06:23:30 Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply. I did come across your blog post about replacing the Manta's keel, so I know you have a bit of experience in this area.

The pivot bolt is definitely a little corroded, but I'm not sure this is the reason why the keel is so low in the front. The chain for lowering the keel has fallen down, so I'm hoping this may be the cause? Does this sound plausible? I intend to use a coat hanger to fish it out this afternoon - from reading the forum I see other people have had the same problem.

Thanks again for your help.
Mark Mark Sun 10 Nov 2013 11:01:41 Hi Scroggins,

With my plate, when the lifting chain became detached it was the back of the plate that dropped but the front remained up as it had the pivot bolt holding it in place. In your photo, it looks like your plate is resting on the trailer. I suppose that a way to check it would be to see if the front of the plate has any vertical movement, but if you check it bear, in mind that the plate is about 20-25kg and sometimes they can be stuck inside the keel.
scroggins scroggins Sun 10 Nov 2013 18:04:21 Thanks Mark. You're right that it was resting on the trailer. I didn't notice any vertical movement when I tried moving it, but I will try again after reading your post. Assuming the pivot bolt is broken or corroded, is that a major repair? Is it as simple as replacing the bolt, or would a keel replacement / repair likely be needed as well? I know you can't say for certain without actually seeing it, but based on your experience what would you expect?

Thanks again for sharing your expertise. I don't think I would have dared to buy the boat at all if not for this forum!
Mark Mark Sun 10 Nov 2013 21:57:19 I think it would just be a case of fitting a new bolt. Be careful what type of bolt you use though.

I'm not a expert in chemistry but if you were to use a stainless steel bolt and you plan on keeping your manta on a mooring then there will be an electrolytic reaction between the iron keel and the stainless bolt. I think the stainless bolt would act as an anode and it will corrode away fairly quickly - don't know how long it would actually take.

I believe that a mild steel bolt would be better, but you probably want to check this out to make sure.
scroggins scroggins Mon 11 Nov 2013 18:21:31 Mild steel it will be! Thanks again for your help.
close

This Site Uses Cookies

Please read our Privacy Policy for full details.

Accept