Forum - Mast and Rigging - spreader angle

All Topics

TopicRepliesLatest Post
spreader angle 5Fri 09 Nov 2012 13:04:53
Mekicevica Mekicevica Wed 24 Oct 2012 15:12:52 Dear Manta sailors:
The sailing season is over for me, which means I am starting the (more expensive) maintenance season.
First priority is to sort-out a few problems with the standing rigging. I think the angle of my spreaders is not right. Has anybody measured the angle of their spreaders?
Thanks
Luis

Replies

Mark Mark Wed 31 Oct 2012 10:01:36 Hi Luis,

I've done a bit of measuring on Sophie's mast which is no longer the original but a replacement made by Z Spars about 8 years ago. The original had been repaired/modified at sometime using 2 old bits of chromed steel tubing for the spreader bars and were a bit of a botch job.

Anyway, I couldn't measure the angle but you should be able to work them out using a bit of maths. The new mast has spreaders which are 66 cm long and I measured the distances from the mast mainsail track to the spreader tip which is 70 cm. Spreader tip to spreader tip is 138 cm. The sweep on the spreaders is 11 cm. With the attached diagram (not to any scale) I hope this makes some kind of sense.
spreader angle
Mark Mark Wed 31 Oct 2012 10:11:09 Also when viewed with the mast vertical, the spreaders are angled upwards slightly which measures 5 cm.
spreader angle
Mekicevica Mekicevica Thu 08 Nov 2012 15:23:18 Hi, Mark.
Thank you very much for the information. That does help a lot.
Your description of your old rigging seems pretty much like what I have now, down to the detail of the chromed steel bars as spreaders.
I am seriously considering getting a new mast, and I am also inclined to order it from Z-spars. How much did it cost?
Luis
Mark Mark Fri 09 Nov 2012 11:48:13 I got mine done about 8 years ago through Morton Boats which is local to me. They ordered it, replaced the rigging and set up it all up. I had a new boom as well which has all of the rigging for slab reefing. Altogether it cost me just under £900. It would probably have been cheaper to deal directly with Z spars. I don't know how much Morton Boats added for all of the setting up they did, standing rigging, new halyards etc.., but they did a good job and it took them about 3-4 hours.

When I ordered it Z Spars didn't need any info as they had the 'plan' for a manta mast. I did have to give them my old mast foot - the cast bit - so that they could make a new foot that would fit into Sophie's mast step.
Mekicevica Mekicevica Fri 09 Nov 2012 13:04:53 Thanks. I'll get it touch with Z-spars and see what they say. I am thinking of doing the job myself, but eight years of inflation may have affected the cost.
Luis
close

This Site Uses Cookies

Please read our Privacy Policy for full details.

Accept