Forum - Social and General Chat - Nearly a 'New manta owner'

All Topics

TopicRepliesLatest Post
Nearly a 'New manta owner' 11Thu 30 Oct 2008 22:09:11
Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Tue 07 Oct 2008 20:05:35 Hi everyone!

Just to introduce ourselves.. We are Ian & Julie and we are buying a Manta 19 (subject to survey) which is on Windermere (Fell Foot).

Her sail number is 1020 but there is no plate on the transom indicating her age. Has anyone any ideas?

I know a gentleman never asks and a lady never tells but it would help us a lot if we knew!

Replies

Adrian Adrian Tue 07 Oct 2008 20:45:11 I have had my Manta for a few weeks and am rely enjoying sailing her. I am in the process of servicing the old trailer to get the boat out the water to free the centre plate , however she still sails well without it.

Look forward to seeing some photos of your new boat.
Nearly a 'New manta owner'
tonymck tonymck Wed 08 Oct 2008 20:42:16 I've had Davin nearly a year now, and think she is a simply brilliant and proper little yacht.
Davin's transom plate is 1059/77, Sophie is an 1983 on sail number 1293, peter dickinson's 1226 is a 1979 hull, so 1020 puts her in the mid 70's?? Does anyone have a anymore info on Blakes and hull numbers? is there anything stamped anywhere else on the hull?

Hope the survey is a good one, post some pictures when you can. Davin is on Coniston and I plan to sail thro the winter as much as I can, so no end to the season!

Cheers

Tony
Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Wed 08 Oct 2008 22:03:21 Thanks for this info Tony - you've got us wondering now...

We've decided to call off the surveyor for the moment and we've written to the broker asking if they have evidence for saying she is a 1984 boat.

The price of £2,800 seems fine for an '84 boat but is it reasonable for a mid '70s one?

Thanks again for your help, the broker is back off hols on Sunday so will post what the reply is.

Our fingers and legs are all crossed!

I&J
tonymck tonymck Wed 08 Oct 2008 23:56:37 Just found another hull number and year, 1176 - 1978 ( http://www.go-sail.co.uk/manta19.asp)

Is the mainsail original?, the transom number plate is / should be on the inside of the cockpit under the tiller.

If she is sound, and the build of the Manta is a strong one! Is the road trailer in good condition, there can be a fair bit of value in a strong road trailer, is she ready to sail.. I've seen Mantas for sale for £3000 to £4000(ps not on commission here!) Has she been dry sailed or left on a mooring?

Try an get a pic of her for everyone here in the forum to look at or a link.

Cheers
Tony
tonymck tonymck Thu 09 Oct 2008 00:08:35http://www.theyachtmarket.com/boats_for_sale/16882/?searchid=1700439&page=1&lengthunit=metres&currencyunit=GBP

Not sure if this is still valid..
Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Thu 09 Oct 2008 11:49:47 tks for link Tone.. interestingly it took us to the actual boat we've put the deposit on! Yes the one with sail no 1020 but advertised as an '84 boat! We think they're the original sails, but no transom plate (anywhere on boat), she's ready to sail and trailer is ok AND she has been dry moored. We're going up this week end to have another look. If anyone wishes to contact us directly then - iangrnr@yahoo.co.uk or 07747844895 will find us. We'd like any help as we've never had a boat before - all we've had is a mirror dinghy for about 10 weeks and the missus wants something drier now! haha. Ttfn - I&J
tonymck tonymck Mon 13 Oct 2008 20:30:24 Hi Guys

Did you go to see the manta over the weekend?

Tony
Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Mon 13 Oct 2008 21:43:10 Hi - We had a second, closer look and we're just as smitten - we're just waiting for the broker to get back to us re sail/age discrepancy. Adrian's scanned the original Blakes' instructions for sailing her - so we've no excuses now!
tonymck tonymck Sat 25 Oct 2008 16:32:52 Hi guys, are you the new proud owners yet?
I went up last weekend just to get a winter cover on, take the sails off, the weather was just too bad to go out.

Rsvp
Tony
Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Tue 28 Oct 2008 14:00:23 Hi Tone - Thanks for all your help but in the end we 'bottled' it because of the boat's age, funnily enough we notice it's re-advertised with the correct year now!

We're still looking... Ian & Julie
PS see pic.. we're used to wet weather too!
tonymck tonymck Thu 30 Oct 2008 22:09:11 Very sorry to hear about that, but plenty more out there!

You're very welcome to join me on Davin to get your Manta fix!! She's under cover now but still at Coniston on the offchance we get a break in the weather and get a winter sail. So will let you know, stay in the forum if you find another one, or just need help/advice

email - anthonydmckone@fsmail.net

Cheers
Tony
close

This Site Uses Cookies

Please read our Privacy Policy for full details.

Accept