Forum - Keel and Centre Plate - cost of new keel

All Topics

TopicRepliesLatest Post
cost of new keel 5Fri 26 Aug 2011 18:36:21
Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Fri 06 May 2011 21:18:30 Sorry to lower the tone of this thread by talking about money!
We need a new keel for Davin as the present one is too thin to re-attach the lifting keel chain.
I wonder if anyone could give us a rough idea of the price to buy one and a rough idea of labour costs?
many thanks
ian

Replies

Mark Mark Fri 06 May 2011 22:02:45 I got Sophie's keel done 6 or 7 years ago. I can't remember exactly how much it cost but it wasn't ridiculously expensive. I think was somewhere around £150 but that included the centre plate, work and use of a hoist to get her off the trailer so we could get the old one out and the new one in. It took about 3 hours to do it but that was because the pivot bolt in the keel was seized up and it snapped when we were trying to undo it. we had to cut the bolt using a hacksaw blade up the keel slot which took up most of the time.
Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Fri 06 May 2011 22:09:53 thank you for this Mark. Even allowing for inflation we wouldn't think we've done too badly if the total could come in under £250.
Mekicevica Mekicevica Wed 11 May 2011 22:25:02 I will have to go through the same process next year.
Being the usual cheapskate I have been thinking of ways to get it done really cheap.
Here is the most entertaining plan I have come up with:
Galvanized steel plates are everywhere on the ground wherever there are road works. So get-out in the night with a van and steal one.
Than rent steel cutting tools and make your own centre-plate.
Luis
Ian & Julie Ian & Julie Wed 11 May 2011 22:54:07 Thanks for this - we've had a RIGHT laugh with you on your blog - it's a hoot ! http://mekicevica.blogspot.com
- Won't need to go out stealing cos our neighbour lifted davin up with his digger and we were able to re-attach the chain. The keel was in good condition once we got the angle grinder on her haha.
Some of our pics here ..
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2028896927445.2128776.1394737487&l=6f440eca4b
Lisboa1967 Lisboa1967 Fri 26 Aug 2011 18:36:21 Hi. I have the same problem as Ian & Julie .ie. " chain just snapped off and we were left holding the chain which also had a length of steel cord attached to it with a broken, rusty bit of metal on the end".

I can hear the plate banging off the underside, whilst on its mooring so I need to get it fixed. My neighbour a diver and has offered to explore but do you think it could be repaired on the mooring or does it need lifted out. Also how is it reattached to the chain and is their a suitable hole on the centre plate for say a shackle. Will it be staright forward. Thanks. Al
close

This Site Uses Cookies

Please read our Privacy Policy for full details.

Accept