Forum - Rudder - Manta rudder

All Topics

TopicRepliesLatest Post
Manta rudder 5Sun 08 May 2011 00:13:31
fredislay fredislay Tue 28 Sep 2010 22:11:32 Greetings from the Isle of Islay, Argyll!
I bought my Manta 19 in July and we have had lots of fun sailing from home on the south coast of the island.
When I contacted a previous owner of "Ro-Ro" (now renamed "Haka") he informed me .... "I should warn you that the tiller as now fitted is not original and is insufficient to properly steer the boat in anything more than a light breeze. The blade should be of heavy metal." My son-in-law, a sailing instructor, has had a look at the sizeable wooden rudder and can see no fault in it.
Can a fellow owner please supply me with a description and measurements of the original so that I can compare? I am baffled!!!
Many thanks
Freddie Bell

Replies

Mark Mark Fri 01 Oct 2010 13:57:59 Sophie's rudder was also replaced by her previous owner who preferred to have a wooden (teak) blade. I think the rudder stock is still the original but has been modified a bit to take the thicker wooden blade that he made.

I did get the original steel blade when I bought Sophie so I will measure it today (when the rain stops) and post some details.

I wouldn't have thought there would be a problem with your rudder in a blow unless it hasn't been made very well. If it is a significantly shorter than the original blade then I suppose you could lose a bit of efficiency if you are sailing her on her 'ear'.
fredislay fredislay Sat 12 Mar 2011 15:07:59 Mark
Did you manage to measure Sophie's original rudder? I have this nagging doubt which I'd be happy to sort out before launching next month.
many thanks
Freddie (freddie@islay.biz)
Mark Mark Sun 13 Mar 2011 13:14:31 Sorry Freddie, I forgot all about it.

I will do it this week.
Mark Mark Sun 20 Mar 2011 20:17:30 Hi Freddie,

Here is a photo of the rudder blade and some dimensions - I measured it as best I could but was only able to measure to the nearest whole CM.

I hope it makes sense

A-F length top to bottom 105cm
B-D radius 11cm
E-I length of the front 79cm
C-J length of back 85cm
G-H width of bottom (above the curved corners) 25cm
E-K width of top 36cm

The rest is hard to measure but hopefully you can work it out by printing the photo out and working out the scale.
Manta rudder
fredislay fredislay Sun 08 May 2011 00:13:31 I apologise for the delay in acknowledging your helpful reply, Mark. We have just had the arrival of our first grand-daughter as a distraction and I have been out of touch with the site. I am sure the measurements and jpeg will be most helpful and I will be in touch soon. Best wishes.
Freddie
close

This Site Uses Cookies

Please read our Privacy Policy for full details.

Accept