Forum - Social and General Chat - Launching

All Topics

TopicRepliesLatest Post
Launching 6Mon 12 Dec 2016 12:54:32
MattLancs MattLancs Wed 08 Jun 2016 20:43:20 Hi, new member thinking of buying a Manta 19. I read somewhere that the launching can be a little more troublesome compared to other trailer sailers. Does anyone out there have a video of a slipway launch of there Manta 19?
Or any advice from people that have launched a variety of vessels of this type to compare?
Thanks

Replies

Mark Mark Thu 09 Jun 2016 08:35:00 I've always found launching to be really easy. Generally, because of the keel you do need to get the trailer a bit deeper in the water for the boat to float off. As I have a car I stop when the trailer wheels are at/in the water's edge, chock the trailer, attach a short rope between the trailer and car, un-hitch and roll the trailer in.

Recovery is slightly more difficult as I have the original trailer and it can be a bit awkward to get the boat lined up on the trailer correctly so I attach a couple of vertical guides (old laser mast top section cut in half) on each side of the trailer so I can be sure the boat is central when trailer is submergerd. The process I use is the reverse of the above. i.e. I tow the trailer and boat far enough out of the water using the car with the rope so I can hitch up to the tow bar without submerging the back of the car.

If I had a SUV/range rover type of car then it wouldn't be a problem and I wouldn't need to bother with the rope.
MattLancs MattLancs Sat 11 Jun 2016 16:01:47 Thanks for the advice Mark
MattLancs MattLancs Fri 02 Sep 2016 17:58:41 Help Help Help! Just had an absolute nightmare with the recover of my boat for the first time. As well as the damage caused it was near impossible for it to sit properly on the trailer. The last owner only had it craned in and out and it sat on it fine. All it wanted to do was slip back on it too far when using a car and slipway.
If anyone would upload some vids of recovery it photos of there trailer configuration that would help enormously.
Thanks
Smanta Smanta Fri 09 Sep 2016 11:26:05 Hi Matt
My trailer is twin axel and also designed to be lowered by a rope ,,, never had any bother
Launching
Crepello Crepello Tue 20 Sep 2016 16:10:19 Hi All, I have a few photo's here of the way I launch my Manta 19 "Crepello". I cannot upload all the photos here, so message me and I will gladly email to you. As you can see, I have made/fabricated some guide bars which are worth their weight in gold. I launch at the barrage on the River Tees at Stockton, where the water is very murky, so you cannot see your trailer through the water. Boat launches are as follows. 1. reverse the boat trailer down the slip and chock the wheels with bricks and release from the tow bar. 2. Attach slings between the tow bar and trailer. drive the car up the slip to tension the slings and remove the chocks from the wheels. 3. Slowly reverse the trailer down the slip until the boat floats off. (Worth getting a reference point at here to see where to position the trailer for recovery of the boat). push the boat off and enjoy your day. 4. Recovery is a reversal of launch. I must stress at this point that the guide bars have made this so much simpler for me to do single handed. If you want the photo's, please email me at glennthorpe@hotmail.co.uk
Launching
StuartH StuartH Mon 12 Dec 2016 12:54:32 Recovery is much like sailing, just when you think you have cracked it you find out you havent!!
We have recovered Davin many times now sometimes it is easy others its not, here are a few tips which "may" help.

Have guide rails on your trailer to help centralise the boat - mark the rails with the waterline height - you need this so you know that the trailer is in deep enough.
If you can its better to have the wind pushing the boat away from the quay heading. I know its not always possible.
I dont use a winch, I have a long rope passed through an eye on the winch post and attach this to the front of the boat, keeping this taught at keeps the bow central.

Make sure you have the keel up !!!!! I somehow or other forgot once and you can imagine this caused a big problem the swing keel managed to slip over the side bars of the trailer - not on centre, it was then effectively locked on the trailer off centre!
The boat was too far from the quay heading to safely step on I had to borrow a step ladder to clamber aboard to pull keel up.

Good luck
Stuart
close

This Site Uses Cookies

Please read our Privacy Policy for full details.

Accept